Friday, September 23, 2011

An Apple Pie Kind of Week

That doesn't mean what you probably think it means. Let's just say this week hasn't been "as sweet as pie". But it hasn't been too terrible either. Usually when there is stressful week in the Lee household, we have some sort of dessert to make it better. This week, it's apple pie... my husband's favorite! I know it's probably not the healthiest way to end a week, but when you have a crazy schedule like our house does, you do what you gotta do. lol!

I remember the first time I made an apple pie for my husband... it took FOREVER! It was definitely made with love! I made the pie crust from scratch. What was I thinking? I was newly married and had no clue. Now, after talking with my husband's grandmother (a fantastic baker and cook), I found the secret- Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust! I didn't believe her at first. I thought everything she made was from scratch. She laughed when I told her I made mine from scratch. "Oh honey, I just buy mine at the grocery store already made." Thanks Granny...now you tell me! I can now make apple pie in about 15 minutes (minus the baking time).

A freshly baked one of these will be waiting for my husband this evening:
I have tried about 5 or 6 different apple pie recipes, but there is nothing like the recipe off the side of the pie crust box. I have a feeling Pillsbury has tested it out quite a few times to get it exactly right. Oh and if you have something against refrigerated pie crust- oh well! Make your own from scratch, but this sister needs all the help she can get!

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 Box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts

Filling:
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (6 medium)- Fiji apples are my favorite for this recipe
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 425. Place 1 pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.
2. In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge pressing edges together to seal; flute.  Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.
3. Bake 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.  Cover edge of crust with 2-3 inch wide strips of foil after first 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.  Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.

-Our family can never wait 2 hours!

Enjoy some apple pie to end your week- stressful or not!

Have a blessed weekend!


No comments: