Friday, July 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Kristen!

My friend Kristen had a birthday this past Saturday. I delivered her present to her on Tuesday during our weekly Bible Study. I am so thankful that I got to deliver this painting in person.... she cried! This painting is symbolic of a short passage she wrote several months ago. She emailed it to me right after she wrote it. I've been waiting to paint this for her since I got that email. :)

Here's what she wrote:
     "When I was a young girl, growing up in Western New York in a small place called Highland on the Lake, my grandparents lived across the street from my home.  I would often visit them in the evening and end up leaving when it was dark.  My parents would unlock the back door and put on the front light, preparing for me to come home.  Anytime I left to go home, my grandparents would watch from the back door until I got all the way down the driveway and into the house.  Sometimes I would turn around and look back.  They would always be standing in the doorway, illuminated by the light coming out of the house.  When they saw me turn and look at them, they would always wave at me- reassuring me that they were still there and watching. Sometimes they would call out that they loved me.  When I got in the house, my habit became to turn the outside porch light switch off and on so that it would flicker and then shut it off and locked the door for the night.  It was my way of signaling that I got home OK and good night.  When I got older, this routine did not change.  I assured my grandparents and later just my grandmother on several occasions that I was old enough and responsible enough to get home in the dark by myself.  They need not wait in the doorway watching me anymore.  I appreciated their concern, but I could handle it on my own. Despite me telling them this, they faithfully continued to watch me. 
I have reflected on this simple act many times in my life.  How I felt watched over and protected. Knowing that nothing would happen to me; that my grandparents were right there watching me get all the way home and doing it out of love.  In distant places from the safety and security of home, I would sometimes wish I had the front light on waiting for me to come home, the back door unlocked and someone who loves me dearly watching over me.  I found out at a cost that I did have those things; in a different way.  I found that God has always been there faithfully watching over me out of love.  Even if I am old enough and responsible enough to go it alone, I am never alone. Through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ, He washed away all my sin and prepared for me to come home one day, by unlocking the “back door” of heaven and the having “front light” of glory always on leading the way home. I am always ON HIS WATCH…
"

The painting:
Have a blessed weekend!

No comments: